Dr. Nguyen received her AA degree from Santa Monica College in 1995. Then she transferred to the University of California, Los Angeles in Fall 1995 where she received her B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in physical chemistry in 1997, 1998, and 2001, respectively. She was a research associate in the Department of Chemistry and the Nanocenter at Columbia University working with Professors Louis Brus and Colin Nuckolls on molecular self-assembly, nanoscale characterization and devices. She also spent time at IBM Research Center at T. J. Watson (Yorktown Heights, NY) working with Richard Martel and Phaedon Avouris on molecular electronics. She joined the faculty of the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department at UCSB in summer 2004. Recognition for her research includes the 2005 Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, the 2006 NSF CAREER Award, the 2007 Harold Plous Award (one of the UCSB's two most prestigious faculty honors), the 2008 Camille Dreyfus Teacher Scholar Award, the 2009 Alfred Sloan Research Fellows, and the 2010 NSF American Competitiveness and Innovation Fellows.
Research Group Website: http://www.chem.ucsb.edu/nguyengroup/
Her current research interests are electronic properties of conjugated polyelectrolytes, interfaces in optoelectronic devices, charge generation and transport in organic semiconductors, new materials for organic solar cell applications, molecular self-assemblies, materials processing, nanoscale characterization of organic solar cells, and device physics.
Selected Research Publications
1. “Control of Solution Aggregation, Solid State Fluorescence Quantum Yield, and Charge Transport in Cationic Conjugated Polyelectrolytes by Choice of Anion,” R. Yang, A. Garcia, D. Korystov, A. Mikhailovsky, G. C. Bazan, and T.-Q. Nguyen, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 16532.
2. “Efficient Polymer Solar Cells in the Tandem Architecture,” J. Y. Kim, N. E. Coates, M. Dante, D. Moses, T.-Q. Nguyen, K. Lee, and A. J. Heeger, Science 2007, 317, 222.
3. “Structure-function relationships of conjugated polyelectrolyte electron injection layers in polymer light emitting diodes,” A. Garcia, R. Yang, and T.-Q. Nguyen, Appl. Phys. Lett. 2007, 91, 153502.
4. “Imaging of Interfaces in Conjugated Polymer Optoelectronic Devices,” D. W. Steuerman, A. Garcia, R. Yang, and T.-Q. Nguyen, Adv. Mater. 2008, 20, 528.
5. “Nanoscale Charge Transport and Internal Structures of P3HT:PCBM Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cells by Conducting Atomic Force Microscopy,” M. Dante, J. Peet, and T.-Q. Nguyen, J. Phys. Chem. C 2008, 112, 7241.
6. “Effect of Aggregation on the Optical and Charge Transport Properties of an Anionic Conjugated Polyelectrolyte,” A. Garcia and T.-Q. Nguyen, J. Phys. Chem. C 2008, 112, 7054.
7. “Electronic Properties of Conjugated Polyelectrolyte Thin Films,” J. H. Seo and T.-Q. Nguyen, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 10042.
8. “Design, Synthesis, and Self-assembly of Oligothiophene Derivatives with a Diketopyrrolopyrrole Core,” A. B. Tamayo, B. Walker, M. Tantiwawat and T.-Q. Nguyen, J. Phys. Chem. C 2008, 112, 15543.
9. “Mechanism of electron injection in multilayer polymer light-emitting diodes using conjugated polyelectrolyte as the electron transporting layer,” C. Hoven, A. Garcia, R. Yang, V. Crockett, A. Heeger, G. Bazan, and T.-Q. Nguyen, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2008, 105, 12730.
10.“Morphology and conductivity modification of poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(styrene sulfonate) films induced by conductive atomic force microscopy measurements,” X.-D. Dang, T.-Q. Nguyen, Appl. Phys. Lett. 2008, 93, 241911.
11. “Three-Dimensional Nanoscale Organization of Highly Efficient Low Bandgap Conjugated Polymer Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cells,” M. Dante, A. Garcia, T.-Q. Nguyen, J. Phys. Chem. C 2009, 113, 1596.
12. “Cationic Conjugated Polyelectrolyte Electron Injection Layers: Effect of Halide Counterions,” A. Garcia, J. Z. Brzezinski, T.-Q. Nguyen, J. Phys. Chem. C 2009, 113, 2950.
13. “Nanoscale Phase Separation and High Photovoltaic Efficiency in Solution-Processed, Small Molecule Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cells,” B. Walker, A. Tamayo, P. Zalar, T.-Q. Nguyen, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2009, 19, 3063.
14. “Self-Assembly and Charge-Transport Properties of a Polythiophene-Fullerene Triblock Copolymer,” M. Dante, C. Yang, B. Walker, F. Wudl, T.-Q. Nguyen, Adv. Mater. 2010, 22, 1835.
15. “Nanostructure and optoelectronic characterization of small molecule bulk heterojunction solar cells by photoconductive atomic force microscopy,” X.-D. Dang, A. Tamayo, J. Seo, C. Hoven, B. Walker, T.-Q. Nguyen, Adv. Func. Mater. 2010, 20, 3314.
16. “Temperature and Electric Field Dependent Electron Transport in Cationic and Anionic Conjugated Polyelectrolytes,” A. Garcia, Y. Jin, J. Brzezinski, T.-Q. Nguyen, J. Phys. Chem. C 2010, 114, 22309.
17. “Controlling Ion Motion in Polymer Light-Emitting Diodes Containing Conjugated Polyelectrolyte Electron Injection Layers,” A. Garcia, R. Bakus, P. Zalar, J. Z. Brzezinski, T.-Q. Nguyen, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 2492.
18. “Nanoscale Characterization of Tetrabenzoporphyrin and Fullerene-based Solar Cells by Photoconductive Atomic Force Microscopy,” M. Guide, X.-D. Dang, and T.-Q. Nguyen, Adv. Mater. 2011, 23, 2313.
19. “A Systematic Approach to Solvent Selection Based on Cohesive Energy Densities in a Molecular Bulk Heterojunction System,” B. Walker, A. Tamayo, D. T. Duong, X.-D. Dang, C. Kim, J. Granstrom, T.-Q. Nguyen, Adv. Energy Mater. 2011, 1, 221.
20. “Effect of Charge Recombination on the Fill Factor of Small Molecule Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cells,” Y. Zhang, X.-D. Dang, C. Kim, T.-Q. Nguyen, Adv. Energy Mater. 2011, 1, 610.
21. “DNA Electron Injection Interlayers for Polymer Light-Emitting Diodes,” P. Zalar, D. Kamkar, R. Naik, F. Ouchen, J. G. Grote, G. C. Bazan, and T.-Q. Nguyen, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 11010.
22. “Solution-processed Ambipolar Field-effect Transistor Based on Diketopyrrolopyrrole Functionalized with Benzothiadiazole group,” Y. Zhang, C. Kim, J. Lin, and T.-Q. Nguyen, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2012, 22, 97–105.
23. “Influence of Structural Variation on the Solid-State Properties of Diketopyrrolopyrrole-Based Oligophenylenethiophenes: Single-Crystal Structures, Thermal Properties, Optical Bandgaps, Energy Levels, Film Morphology, and Hole Mobility” C. Kim, J. Liu, J. Lin, A. B. Tamayo, B. Walker, G. Wu, T.-Q. Nguyen, Chem. Mater. 2012, 24, 1699.
24. “DNA Interlayers Enhance Charge Injection in Organic Ambipolar Field-Effect Transistors,” Y. Zhang, P. Zalar, C. Kim, G. C. Bazan, T.-Q. Nguyen, Adv. Mater. 2012, 24, 1699.
25. “Effects of Heteroatom Substitutions on the Crystal Structure, Film Formation, and Optoelectronic Properties of Diketopyrrolopyrrole-Based Materials,” J. Liu, B. Walker, A. Tamayo, Y. Zhang, T.-Q. Nguyen, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2012, online.